Pressing On: Losing a Parent

Losing a parent
Share a time when you felt spiritually abandoned.
It was August 2002…I was preparing to start 7th grade and I couldn’t have been more excited. Little did I know, I would soon receive some news that would change the entire trajectory of my life.  My grandmother, the only woman that I had ever called “Momma” and the only woman that I had ever acknowledged as my mom, was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and given only 6 months to live. As a 12 year old, this was a HUGE pill to swallow. MY momma? Dying? No. Things like that didn’t happen in my family. Months passed and I watched her slowly, but surely, fade away. She passed away in February 2003, exactly 6 months after her diagnosis. After her death, I had to grow up quickly and assume the responsibilities as the “woman” of the household…at 12. I felt alone, neglected by God, and just…lost.

Share a time when you felt broken.
It was December 2007…I had just finished my first semester of college AND I had a 4.0 GPA to show for it. I called my dad after receiving my last Final grade. At the end of our conversation he said, “I’m so proud of you baby girl.” That was the last thing I ever heard him say. We were supposed to be going to a holiday party at his job the next day. Instead, I woke up to my cousin screaming, “KiKi, wake up! Your daddy’s dead!” My father had been killed in a car accident 3 miles away from home. I was numb. I remember not shedding a single tear until a few days later when the funeral home director placed the clothes my dad was wearing during the accident in a bag beside my feet. It was downhill from there. I sank into a deep depression. Though I didn’t want to, I returned to college the following semester. My GPA dropped, I gained 35 pounds, and I had zero motivation to succeed. Broken? Most definitely.

Share the moment when you discovered your purpose OR the moment you received a revelation of what your purpose might be.
Honestly I’m still awaiting that “moment”. I’m currently a middle school teacher and though it is rewarding at times, I’m not convinced that my purpose in life is to be a teacher. Stay tuned.  

When you are hardest hit how do you motivate yourself to press on?
I communicate with others. I have so many beautifully spirited family members and friends with whom I can confide in. They keep me grounded, they keep me sane, and most of all they push me to keep going in the midst of me “giving up”.
What have you learned in this season of your life?
In this season, I have learned to live my life for me. I’ve spent the majority of my years living up to the expectations of others and doing what I thought “looked good” or “sounded good”. As of lately, I’ve decided to just do me.  If it makes ME happy, I’m gonna go for it…regardless of how it may be perceived by others.

What advice would you give to those who feel like their story is over?
Don’t give up, my love. Your breaking point comes right before your breakthrough. We, as women, have to learn to stop searching for willpower and strength…we must create it! God has a plan for all of our lives. It’s up to us to accept His plan and see it through.

Send me a picture of your favorite pair of heels and let me know why they are your favorite!
This is my favorite pair of heels because I walked across the stage in them to receive my college diploma. Red symbolizes power, confidence, and vitality…and in that very moment, I was my most powerful, my most confident, and my liveliest.  
 By: Kiara N. Wilson
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...