#NPM 2014: Day 2- Athleticism


A few years ago I heard Maya Angelou make this statement and it really got my gears turning about my life up until that point. I began to reflect on my imperfections that would constantly stare me in the face daily. The internal battle I had over my body and those insecurities you attempt to "secure" but they always seem to "win." I thought about the lies told on me, the whispers behind my back, the fake friends who turned into enemies, the laughter in my face, the threats, the jealousy, and just the drama I had to endure to be able to see myself the way God sees me. I took this quote to heart and recognized that I had been catching this "stuff" with my hands and I never threw it back. I allowed it to define me. It became a part of how I saw myself and I found myself being weaker than I would portray. In those moments I would be alone, the best time for the enemy to rule your thoughts, I would want to be a different person, in a different place, with a different life. I hated who I "was" (according to what other people said about me) and I couldn't see beyond that hate.

But I grew tired and began to stop caring about the lies and the whispers. I began to share myself, my struggles, my insecurities with people who needed it before anyone could have a chance to make it their gossip topic. I began to take ownership of my junk, my growth, my womanhood and finally started walking in who God said I was, not man. I learned agility in how I handled those naysayers, speed in how I moved within a world that stopped for no one, flexibility in how I defined my friendships, and balance with how I listened to what God said about me versus what the world said about me. I became athletic, in my mind and spirit, and from that revelation I now live out the importance of #noweight!

Heads up my warriors! Ears shut to those "friends" you should've left alone years ago. Heart open to God's love and guidance for your life. And feet pressed firmly on the throat of the enemy for any THING he wants to say about you that will make you question who you KNOW you are! Catcher's mitt on! #noweight

Athleticism

I have silenced my sins so that saints won’t seek my soul.
Grew braces over my back to help my bones become better billboards.
Showcasing my beauty that, because of your complaints,
I had to cease from expressing evermore.
I planted voice boxes on the back of my brain so that I could respond to your thoughts that were watered down with bad soil.
Holding onto roots that wither in all seasons of the year.
Rocking steady, so that body language will never be confused with miscommunication. Your face speaks volumes while your heart empty, silent, barren.
You have forgotten the importance of better to be-loved than bitter, boring, and beating the bottom of the bucket.
The word “Because” stopped being an answer when grandmothers stopped letting children be their best friends and started switching pops and “painches” up for silent dinners, empty corners, and toys that had words in them...
we call them books.
You have misplaced your values, your respect, and your peace of mind for a millisecond of time that you think will leave me broken, distraught, lost, and lonely.
But little do you know...
I wear one catcher’s mitt...

4 catching vs. throwing it back
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...