Can I be transparent?

I find comfort in knowing that I am not alone.
I have taken a poll and the results are in…
There are times when I feel lonely.
Before you get up in arms about that statement, continue reading.

It’s a feeling from the result of being away from my family and friends.

I look at my son and I want him to be as involved with family as I was growing up and in turn I look at myself and I don’t want to get so lost in the process of motherhood that I lose my sense of self; neglecting my need to be involved and interact with my friends.
His world is so pristine.
So perfect.
And in him I find a renewed sense of excitement to continue to grow on this journey.




However, in my being translucent and sharing this I received a lot of questions about “Where’s my husband.”
And this is where my post begins…

I think many people have a distorted perception of what marriage entails.
Being married doesn’t mean you won’t ever feel lonely.
Being married doesn’t mean you won’t ever feel moments of emptiness.
Having someone as your life partner only satisfies their role as your spouse meaning they can’t fill the shoes of your sister, brother, mother, father, aunt, uncle, cousin, best friends etc.
Some people have it all confused and that thought process will only create a place for disappointment.

I think that in a marriage we can place extreme expectations on our spouse. We’ve taken a sacred oath and made a vow to be one, however that oneness references the spiritual.
You are still two individuals working to blend your differences, your quirks, your pet peeves etc in the best way you possibly can, in order to have a successful and flourishing marriage.
Because you are still two individuals, you still have individual feelings about different things.
Your perception will be different.
Your desires will be different.
And your emotions on certain topics will be different.
*Anyone that is married and you both feel the same thing, think the same thing, like the same things, share the same opinions, want the same things, etc please share your story.

I refuse to put the makeup back on and live my life behind a face that isn’t my own. The purpose of my book and this blog is to show you that being transparent is okay. You never know who you’re helping in doing so.

I removed that eyeliner for a reason.
Lips unstained by colors hiding my true emotions.

I have moments where I feel isolated in a place that was once a place of comfort.
A stranger to people who were once so welcoming.
And a rebel to everyone else in between.

Thankful to God for being everything I need.
Even in my moments of insecurity, loneliness, and confusion He still strengthens me BE all that I can BE.

A superwoman by day.
A reflecting poet by night.
A woman with real feelings 24/7.
I just so happen to be a wife and mother.

That’s honesty.

And if I can’t be honest with myself or those close to me then I am doing my mission an injustice.

#nomakeup

3 comments :

Candy and Steve said...

I love this! People need to have a realistic view of marriage and motherhood.

I agree with you that people have unrealistic expectations sometimes of what their partner should be or the person they should be and how they should act. I feel like eventually when the newlywed excitement is over and it's just wife and husband and maybe baby it's like who did I marry?

I love my hubby but had to realize he was kinda older and set in his ways about a lot of things. Sure it frustrates the stew out of me when he doesn't budge on some issues but I just have to go on and remember God placed him as the head of our household. I just have to pray that he continues to let God lead him so he can lead our family.

I know that's kind of old fashioned thinking but I'm taking a new disciple class called God of Order and it's showing me that God created an order to our marriages and our lives.

I'm proud of you Sand with the woman you've become! You always have such great insight!

Caneeka said...

Our household is structured the same way. I believe that God has called Scott to be the man HE created for me and with that He has already prepared him to lead our household according to what is outlined in 1 Peter. But you're right people need to understand that yes he's my best friend but he can't be my best girl friend so those are shoes he just can not fill. Period. And having that realization after creating what you think marriage is going to entail can be disheartening but you learn to communicate, be understanding, and continue to grow as an individual and as a couple. :)

-Lina said...

This is really good. You told me this the other day and I continue to learn from you. I'm going to continue to pray this gets better for you soon. I miss you and love you a bunch!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...