Tre's Bookshelf: Reading with a Toddler

The first Saturday in June the kid participated in a race with the local library to kick off their summer reading program.
He has been such an avid reader for so long that I knew that we needed to get a library card and get more books in rotation than the ones in his room. So we began our summer reading journey! However, with our travels in July we did not get any library time in like I would have preferred. But now we are back in the groove and what perfect timing as most children have already returned to school or will be shortly.


We check out books from the library every two weeks. We will usually borrow 5 books since he has other ones at home that he still includes in the rotation. It’s always a joy to see how we as parents can encourage language development through discussing what we’ve read. Therefore, I have decided to include a reoccurring series called “Tre’s Bookshelf” on Behind the Makeup! (Scott Aaron III=Tre)

In this series it won’t be anything fancy, just a place where I will share what books we’ve picked up from the library, which ones are his favorite, something he remembers about each book (no matter how silly), and my thoughts on the book. I might include a video or pictures of him reading but I want to create a space for my readers with children, or those who frequently interact with children, who are interested in encouraging more reading and less electronic usage, to find some books to share with your little ones.

Here are my “rules” for reading with a toddler:

1. Make it exciting! 
I give voices to each character. I emphasize the exclamation points. I express each emotion with facial expressions included and he LOVES it. If you ever hear me read a book to children it will probably be entertaining but I bet YOU won’t want to miss what happens next. ;)

2. Make it plain! 
Sometimes I venture outside of the board book section and if you have a toddler you know you have a small window to WOW them because their attention will redirect *snaps fingers* like that. So if I get a book with LOTS of words on the pages (ex: The Berenstain bears collection) but the pictures are descriptive enough that they can visually understand what’s going on I FREESTYLE! I will create a story based on the pictures in such a way that he can understand.

3. Make it interactive! 
I don’t know about you but there is no fun in having someone read AT you. Through our reading I am constantly asking him questions about items in the background, what characters are wearing, colors on the pages, who the characters are (i.e. mommy, daddy, etc), and if there are letters that stand out, I will even ask him about those.

4. Make them read to YOU! 
No matter what age or how extensive the language, children possess the ability to point to something familiar and associate a word they’ve learned, even if it’s just one word, and tell you about it. When Scott was younger I would ask him read the book to mommy and the story might consist of 4 words based on the items he could identify but I would fill in the gaps by explaining the rest. An example would be if he/she sees a bottle on the page and all they can say is “bottle” you might fill in the gaps by saying, “Yes that is a bottle! It looks like the baby is drinking from the bottle while her mommy reads her a bedtime story.” In that time you have validated their ability to identify items, you have encouraged them to read, and you have expanded on their language by filling in the gaps.

I wish I would’ve made a list before now of what we’ve read this summer up until this point because clearly the sheet they gave me to fill out the books we read I did not utilize that.

However, I will list the books we just finished reading and the book we are currently reading and my next post will be to review the books we are currently reading!

(Previously Read)
8/31/2013
Penguin says Please-Michael Dahl
Curious George’s ABC’s- H.A. Rey
That’s not my bunny- Fiona Watt
No more diapers for Ducky-Bernette Ford
I love my daddy because (board book)- Laurel Gaylord

(Currently Reading until)
9/13/2013
Hippo says Excuse Me- Michael Dahl
Mommy Sing me A lullaby- Marci Butler
Swing like a Monkey-Harriet Ziefert
Good Morning Mr. Ted-Crystal Bowman
My "S" sound Book-Jane Moncure
9/5/13 Taking Swing Like a Monkey to read on the car ride to school
Hopefully in doing this you will have a chance to check out the books and share your thoughts about them on the next post!

I’m so excited about this series and I hope you enjoy it as well! So gather the kiddies, visit your local library, get a library card, and let’s start expanding these bookshelves!

If you have some pretty cool children’s books that you’ve bought tell me about them!

All my love,

Caneeka

Tre at 9 months reading Woof!


Check out my other Motherhood posts:
Went to the pool Labor Day weekend! Love my boys!
Alabama Football is BACK! Roll Tide!

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...